A small bunch of curry leaves
¼ c chopped fresh coriander
1 teaspoon mustard seeds(rai)
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds(jeera)
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds(methi dana)
1 1/2 c chopped sorakaya (bottle gourd or lauki)
1 tablespoon tamarind (imli) pulp
2 tablespoon Bengal gram flour (chana dal atta)(made by dry roasting Bengal gram and grinding it)
1 teaspoon chili powder (laal mirch powder)
2 teaspoon cumin fenugreek powder(jeera methi powder) (made by dry roasting and grinding them)
¼ teaspoon turmeric(haldi)
¼ teaspoon asafetida
1/2 c chopped onions
3 whole red chilies
How to make Sorakaya
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafetida. Now add cumin fenugreek and mustard seeds.
- Once they stat spluttering, add the whole red chilies.
- Now put in the onions and fry them till they are golden in color.
- Add turmeric powder and the sorakaya pieces.
- Mix well and fry till sorakaya is a little tender.
- To this add the Bengal gram flour and fry well.
- Now you should add the tamarind pulp and 3 or more cups of water.
- Once the water starts boling, add curry leaves, cumin and fenugreek powder and chili powder.
- Cover and let it boil till the time the sorakaya pieces are tender and the consistency is of a desired curry.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.